The best performances in sailing
Thanks to the automatic pitch of its blades and their design, Autoprop distributed in Italy by Sigmadrive offers the best performance at any engine speed and very low resistance in sailing.
Autoprop blades are designed by Brunton’s Propellers for the specific power and speed characteristics of your yacht. Hydrodynamic variables and centrifugal force set the correct blade position. As engine speed changes, the blades change their orientation, providing the best pitch and angle of attack for water flow in both forward and reverse gears. This feature translates in a practical sense into a significant increase in cruising speed at any engine speed and a reduction in fuel consumption at the same speed compared to other propellers on the market.
The advantages of Autoprop:
By installing Autoprop you will get better performance at all engine speeds than any other properly calculated propeller on the market.
- You will get the same cruising speed at significantly lower engine speeds (usually between 200 and 600 rpm less), which means reduced vibration and noise and greater fuel savings (-30%).
- Improved boat maneuverability and very low reverse stop times due to the fact that the blades rotate 180° and offer the same performance as in forward gear.
- Significant reduction in the evolutionary effect of the propeller in reverse.
- Propeller resistance reduction up to 95% compared to a fixed blade propeller when sailing (1/2 to 1 knot more).
- Combined sail/engine navigation at minimum engine speed, ideal for low wind sailing.
- The installation of the propeller is very simple and takes only a few minutes, as if it were a traditional propeller.
- The special Yanmar and Volvo approved cotter pin insert, of the same length of the Saildrive millerighe shaft, inside the propeller body allows in emergency cases to “save” the transmission from sudden shocks.
Sailing with Autoprop
All you have to do is turn off the engine while sailing in forward gear and leave the gear engaged. The blades will automatically “flag” and offer minimal resistance to the flow of water (with the 2-blade propeller up to 95% less than a fixed propeller).
How to maneuver with Autoprop?
Because of the automatic pitch variation, maneuvering is different from conventional propellers. First, in most cases, there is a significant decrease in propeller advancement. This unique feature of Autoprop, allows full engine power to be used even in situations such as towing, or emergency. With conventional propellers, the pitch is too large at very low speeds and the motor cannot reach its full revolutions; therefore, maximum thrust is not achievable.
Some impressions of Autoprop customers
For more informations on Autoprop: